Expanded to include EMDR therapy with infants to adolescents, this updated and revised manual--the only resource of its kind--accompanies the new second edition of the widely praised foundational text, EMDR and the Art of Psychotherapy With Children. The manual distills simple and practical ways to employ EMDR therapy scripted protocols and forms to effectively utilize the entire EMDR therapy eight-phased treatment with infants, toddlers, young children, preteens, and teens from a developmental perspective. It is organized in accordance with the book and provides step-by-step directions, session protocols, scripts, and forms for each phase of the protocol, along with instructions for integrating techniques and tools from play, art, sand tray, and other helpful therapies.
The manual mirrors revisions to the text including changes to the phases of EMDR therapy and target identification and the integration of developmental theory into EMDR therapy for use with infants to adolescents. Additional revisions include coverage of new specialties and updated protocols, the presentation of breakthrough narrative concepts, new resources and scripts, guidance for the use of EMDR therapy with specialty populations, and new case studies of infants, toddlers, preteens, and adolescents. The manual will greatly assist therapists in their goal of providing best practices for children in need of expert psychotherapy.
New to the Second Edition:
- Includes updated scripted protocols and forms
- Integrates developmental theory into the eight phases of EMDR therapy for use with infants, toddlers, preschoolers, children, preteens, and adolescents
- Highlights that describe additional specialties and protocols
- Includes breakthrough narrative therapeutic concepts to use with young children
- Provides new resourcing and other scripts for teaching children affect management
- Integrates play therapy and other expressive techniques for use with any age client
- Guides therapists in using EMDR therapy with specialty populations
- Presents case studies of EMDR therapy use with infants, toddlers, preteens, and adolescents
- Revises phases of EMDR therapy for history taking, case conceptualization, and treatment planning
- Offers updates for cognitive interweaves and other tools for blocked processing and client resistance to EMDR therapy
- Provides the only manual available to help therapists to use EMDR therapy with children ranging from infancy to adolescence
- Organized in accordance with the accompanying text
- Includes step-by-step directions, session protocols, scripts, and forms for each phase of the protocol
- Provides instructions for integrating techniques and tools from play, art, sand tray, and other helpful therapies
- Facilitates the skills--from basic to advanced--needed for best practices
Robbie Adler-Tapia , PhD, is a licensed psychologist who has worked with children and families for over 30 years. Her work as a psychologist, educator, consultant, researcher, and writer has been at the cutting edge of treating trauma in young children. She has extensive experience in child welfare, the forensic arena, and working with first responders and public safety. Dr. Adler-Tapia is co-author of EMDR and the Art of Psychotherapy With Children and author of Child Psychotherapy, Integrating Developmental Theory into Clinical Practice. She has authored several invited chapters on treating trauma in children in the child welfare system and children who have experienced sexual abuse. Dr. Adler-Tapia presents internationally on treating trauma in children including using EMDR Therapy for attachment and dissociation. She has taught graduate level course work at the university level and supervised interns. Her volunteer work includes promoting EMDR Therapy for the most vulnerable children including training therapists worldwide working in the child welfare system and with children orphaned by AIDS, along with volunteering for a non-profit for law enforcement – PISTLE.
Carolyn Settle, MSW, LCSW, is in private practice in Scottsdale, Arizona. She has over 38 years of experience working with children, adolescents, and adults who have experienced abuse, trauma or loss. She is an EMDRIA-approved consultant, an EMDR Institute Facilitator, and an EMDR Trauma Recovery HAP trainer. Ms. Settle has presented and written about children and specialty areas with children in her co-authored book EMDR and the Art of Psychotherapy with Children. She has presented at numerous conferences nationally and internationally. She is also a co-investigator of a fidelity study with EMDR and children and co-author of two chapters and two journal articles on EMDR with children. Ms. Settle’s volunteer work includes training therapists in using EMDR with children after natural disasters and man made tradegies.